The purpose of procedures in general is to serve as training material. In addition, an important purpose of procedures is to ensure consistency. Procedures are designed to help reduce variation within a given process.
We are glad to announce that the 2019 Rotary International Manual of Procedure (MOP) is now available!
The Manual of Procedure offers a concise version of Rotary’s policies and procedures. The manual is geared to Rotary club and district leaders and features information that’s most relevant to their roles. It is published every three years to reflect adopted legislation and decisions of the RI conventions, the Council on Legislation, the Rotary International Board of Directors, and the Trustees of The Rotary Foundation.
The manual covers these key areas:
- Structure: Includes policies and procedures for clubs, districts, zones, Rotary International, and The Rotary Foundation.
- Carrying out Rotary’s mission: Includes the structure, policies, and procedures of the programs of RI and the Foundation
- International Meetings: Includes the RI Convention, Council on Legislation, and International Assembly
- Rotary’s constitutional and legal documents
The Rotary International constitutional documents provide club and districts the foundation for RI’s policies and procedures.
- Constitution of Rotary International
- Bylaws of Rotary International
- Standard Rotary Club Constitution
All clubs admitted to Rotary membership must adopt this constitution.
Clubs can tailor these bylaws, as long as their changes align with Rotary’s constitutional documents and the Rotary Code of Policies.
Rotary Code of Policies
The Rotary Code of Policies compiles all of the organization’s general and permanent policies. The revised version is available after each meeting of the RI Board and the Council on Legislation. A separate document outlines amendments made to the code whenever it is updated.
The Rotary Foundation Code of Policies is maintained in a separate document. A revised version is available after each meeting of The Rotary Foundation Trustees.
Read the latest Rotary International Board decisions though https://my.rotary.org/en/learning-reference/about-rotary/board-decisions and Rotary Foundation Trustees decisions through https://my.rotary.org/en/trustee-decisions
Clubs and districts are guided by the Manual of Procedure, RI Constitution, and RI Bylaws. These documents provide the structure for RI’s policies and procedures. Every club and district can propose amendments to constitutional documents through the Council of Legislation.
The constitutional documents were published in English in June 2019; however, a few corrections came to our attention shortly afterwards for the RI Bylaws and the Club Constitution. The updated documents are now posted to My Rotary and have been updated in the published MOP. If you have the previous version, please note the following corrections:
• _RI Bylaws
- The last sentence in subsection 3.020.1. was moved to subsection 3.020.6.
- A second sentence was added to section 6.010., plus a reference to the section was added to section 12.010.
• _Club Constitution
- In article 10, subsection 3 (a), the reference was corrected to “sub-subsection (1)(d)(7).”
- In article 13, section 4 (a), the “or” was corrected to “and” between sub points 1 and 2.
To receive a PDF copy of the English 2019 MOP, which contains the official text of the constitutional documents, Please click https://my.rotary.org/en/document/manual-procedure-035
The MOP, along with other governance documents, can also be accessed on My Rotary at: https://my.rotary.org/en/learning-reference/about-rotary/governance-documents.
Language versions of the MOP will be available by the end of October, but the constitutional documents are currently available in languages on My Rotary.
Hard copies of the MOP can be purchased shortly in the Rotary Shop at shop.rotary.org. These will be available through April 2020, or you may simply print the PDF. We have updated the format of the 2019 MOP to allow for easy printing.
By; Sarah Christensen – Supervisor | Council Services, Rotary International.